2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Update to Custom Font Single Path Stroker to Version 0.05

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Update to Custom Font Single Path Stroker to Version 0.05

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 24 Jan 2021, 20:52

Custom_Font_Single_Path_Stroker_v_005.py #
(42.76 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
This is an update to the plug-in that creates custom font layers from character paths.

Download it and install it in your user plug-ins folder. It can be called from a new image with:

Filters>>Custom Font Tools>>Custom Font Single Path Stroker v0.05...

The dialog remains the same as for version 0.02 and if you need more information about the filter, follow this link:

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2708

This update resolves a number of issues, including one with the glow option that was actually stroking some kerning paths. The plug-in now manages kerning pair paths, modifying these as appropriate, and adding global kerning paths to maintain better letter spacing. This applies to both glowing and non-glowing text. An example of the custom font that can be created:
Teal.jpg
Teal.jpg # (56.32 KiB) Viewed 1201 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
FontExample.jpg
FontExample.jpg # (43.63 KiB) Viewed 1201 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)
As well as creating finished custom fonts, the plug-in can also be used to generate white font faces with a variety of weightings. The examples below were created with different path sizes and the kerning has been matched to that size automatically...
Weightings.jpg
Weightings.jpg # (30.19 KiB) Viewed 1201 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)

These can then be used as the base for making other custom fonts using the adapted kerning path information.

FineBroad.jpg
FineBroad.jpg # (96.03 KiB) Viewed 1201 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile)

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#2 by skinnyhouse » 25 Jan 2021, 07:18

Have added Quigley character paths to resources thread...

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... 588#p34588

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#3 by Krikor » 25 Jan 2021, 21:37

Hi Skinnyhouse,

Hummm I think there is something wrong that is not right with this new version :-)

I was trying to adjust the settings for several minutes with the previous version (V 0.04) - without much success.

so after having a little more understanding of the plugin, I decided to update and check the improvements with the new version.

I immediately noticed a good difference, but ....

The plug-in is omitting some fonts in the conversion process.

In the experiment I used only 4 letters, but only 3 of them are processed; the character 'A' is left out.

I had renamed the plugin from the previous version to .bakpy (Custom_Font_Single_Path_Stroker_v_004.bakpy), but somehow it still appears in the menu and is still working correctly.
Could it be a problem caused by having both versions installed? I will remove version 0.04 and check.

I used Champignon_Style_paths.xcf made available in another post, practically with default values. Both in brush and line filling mode, the problem also occurs in this version 0.05.
I fear that if all the letters are tested, instead of just these 4, that others may present the same problem.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#4 by Krikor » 25 Jan 2021, 22:03

I removed version 0.04 from the plugins folder. I restarted Gimp and the problem continues.
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 25 Jan 2021, 22:43

Hi Krikor...
Good spot!
I cannot get Champignon_Style to work either - flat refusal.
Could you download the recently added Quigley_Style and test that with the new version.
Champignon uses two paths for some characters and I have to admit that I forgot to test that type of character path.
:hammer_head:

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 25 Jan 2021, 23:40

skinnyhouse wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 22:43
Hi Krikor...
Good spot!
I cannot get Champignon_Style to work either - flat refusal.
Could you download the recently added Quigley_Style and test that with the new version.
Champignon uses two paths for some characters and I have to admit that I forgot to test that type of character path.
:hammer_head:
With that font there were no problems, the plug-in ran as expected! :thumbsup:

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#7 by skinnyhouse » 26 Jan 2021, 06:45

Thanks K.
I shall investigate the issue with the older character path format: That format was really devised for another earlier brush-stroke-path plug-in so I need to decide on the route to go down i.e. fix it or throw an error message.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#8 by skinnyhouse » 27 Jan 2021, 16:49

Krikor:
Just as a point of interest; I usually have the two most recent versions of each custom font tool available as a menu option - this is the reason I add a version number indicator to the title in the menu. They do not cause conflicts on my system Windows 10 Home Ed; do they cause problems for you having multiple version numbers?

PS the path issue is sorted for the next version - just want to add another variation option that I had in mind. Hope that doesn't put the jinx on it. And thanks for the testing!

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#9 by Krikor » 27 Jan 2021, 19:03

I believe that there was no conflict between the versions.

The strange thing is that I had changed the extension of version V0.04 (Custom_Font_Single_Path_Stroker_v_004.bakpy), but still it was still loaded and functional within the gimp.

I removed version V0.04 with the main purpose of checking if there was a conflict between the versions and if this would produce the problem reported in post #3

But when I realized that the problem persisted, I concluded that version V0.05 was the active factor in this problem (the character A was not processed).

I ended up not reinstalling version V0.04 because alternatively I can use custom font paths to layers v0.03, and this plugin generates the characters without problems, in the same way that version V0.04 did.

I find it very useful to have the version number of the plugin in the menu! It should perhaps be standard practice. :thumbsup:

Maybe I will take the time and learn how to insert the version number in the menus, and then proceed to manually add this information to all plugins that I will install from now on.

Btw, the Champignon_Style_paths.xcf font is quite complicated in itself! :shock:

Thank you for all that hard work

skinnyhouse
Script Coder

Post#10 by skinnyhouse » 27 Jan 2021, 19:22

Thanks Krikor...
...good to know this sort of stuff.

I t is fairly straight-forward to alter/add a version number in simple py filters. There are generally three two places to add this info: The menu entry and the two plug-in information line (which is needed to avoid clashes in calls to the procedural database). You can look at the Plug-in Browser from the help menu and see the filter parameters.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic