2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | 🡆 Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Goals in Life

Anything, almost anything at all
(even advertisement if it's decent, spammers will be banned)
tim
GL Blogger

Goals in Life

Post#1 by tim » 07 Jun 2021, 13:58

aka Tin

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#2 by CtrlAltDel » 10 Jun 2021, 06:53

Tim wrote:

I talked long-distance to a friend 2 weeks ago on the phone.
And he said, you must write down your goals, otherwise you won't focus on them. By writing them down, it's an act that will keep you focus on them.

So I wrote them down... and things seems simpler, like as if I successfully accomplish them or not it doesn't seem to matter as much as they are what I have in mind and determined to pursue them.

Here they are, I have only 3 for now:
1. Chant "Om Mani Padme Hum".
2. Maintain forums: Gimplearn.net, TheLotteryForum.com and cs-pattern.com.
3. Donate to trees.

What might be some of your goals? Have you thought about writing them down to help solidify them?
Tim, one of my goals is for you to be successful in your goal of continuing to operate your sites, especially GimpLearn. :gimplearn: :gimp_clap:

Another goal:

Restore a 1987 Ford F-250 that was my first vehicle, as a teenager, which I have had in storage since 1994. It's got the stock original and practically unstoppable 5.8L 351 Windsor (63,000 miles) matched to an equally renowned, and also original C6 transmission. You just can't hardly make either one stop running.

I never really took good care of it like I have other vehicles since then. I'm going to need a new bench seat, new door panels, etc... The paint is in horrible condition, but zero rust as I live the southeast of the United States and rust just isn't a issue down here concerning vehicles.

So, I'm going to put a few thousand into a professional paint job, the ones that look better than factory paint, new hoses, new belts, new tires, I need the original bed rails, etc... I don't want it to look different than it was new, so I'll be doing everything I do to conform to factory specs. In other words, I am going to try to make it look like it just rolled off the factory floor.

I always find an excuse to not do it but, "one day" I will. That is going to be my next goal. I've always cranked it once a month or so and drove it 3 or 4 miles just so the engine seals and gaskets wouldn't totally disintegrate. I've also changed the oil every few years, not for mileage reasons but just for age reasons and flushed the radiator out once or twice, etc... just basic maintenance stuff.

Anyway, the next time you see a perfectly restored, almost totally original, burgundy 1987 Ford F-250 rolling down the road, it might just be me.
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#3 by tim » 10 Jun 2021, 11:23

You gotta share pictures of the restoration process.
Hopefully, you'll accomplish you goal. Or at least, if you looked back you can be proud of saying " well you couldn't say I didn't try!"
aka Tin

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#4 by CtrlAltDel » 10 Jun 2021, 22:05

tim wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 11:23
You gotta share pictures of the restoration process.
Hopefully, you'll accomplish you goal. Or at least, if you looked back you can be proud of saying " well you couldn't say I didn't try!"
Sure, Tim, if I ever start doing it, I'll post a few pix. But, it's been 27 years since I've quit driving it, so, don't be expecting anything too soon. :) I've researched my ancestry going back quite a ways in time, to the
Scottish Highlands, and my family's motto was " DON'T DO ANYTHING TODAY THAT YOU CAN DO TOMMORROW, WHY BOTHER" :rofl:

To jump right on it would be going against ancestral and, really, human evolution.
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#5 by tim » 10 Jun 2021, 22:54

If it can be done tomorrow, why do it today?! LOL
aka Tin

Krikor
Forum Member

Post#6 by Krikor » 11 Jun 2021, 00:48

CtrlAltDel wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 22:05
tim wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 11:23
[...] and my family's motto was " DON'T DO ANYTHING TODAY THAT YOU CAN DO TOMMORROW, WHY BOTHER" :rofl:

To jump right on it would be going against ancestral and, really, human evolution.
:fb_haha: :lol: :rofl:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#7 by CtrlAltDel » 11 Jun 2021, 05:03

Krikor wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:48

:fb_haha: :lol: :rofl:
Krikor, in other words, my goal is to think about the goal that I have. :rofl:
GIMP Learn rocks...

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#8 by CtrlAltDel » 11 Jun 2021, 05:05

tim wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 13:58
Here they are, I have only 3 for now:

1. Chant "Om Mani Padme Hum".
Tell us more about this, Tim, and assume that some of us have absolutely no idea what chants are for. Is it a prayer? A meditation technique?
GIMP Learn rocks...

tim
GL Blogger

Post#9 by tim » 11 Jun 2021, 10:54

"Om Mani Padme Hum" is a Tibetan Buddhist Chant.
It means “Praise to the Jewel in the Lotus.” (according to Google).

It it said that the Lotus born Master (a master who was born from a Lotus) once saw a King before he passed, he told the King to chant this chant once he's gone.

He also said that rain droplets from 12 seasons of rain can be counted, but merits from chanting "Om Mani Padme Hum" just once can not be counted.
and other examples/comparisons too.

One i like is: a mountain made out of steel, and if you take a soft silk cloth you wipe at the mountain once every hundred years, eventually the mountain is reduced to nothing but merits of chanting can not be reduced.

Also, other text say if a person chants 10 malas (a full-length mala is a string of beads that has 108 beads, one chant per bead) a day, when the wind blows and the air touches this person and then touches other beings (humans, insects, birds basically any sentient beings), it purifies them and causes other beings to have better rebirths. Same if the person who chants goes swimming in lakes, ocean, any water that touches this person then touches other beings causes them to have better rebirths.
aka Tin

CtrlAltDel
Forum Member

Post#10 by CtrlAltDel » 12 Jun 2021, 04:11

Thanks for the info about that, Tim. It's always better to learn about things from having a real person describe it to you. I am not a very religious person but I'm not anti-religious either. From the little I know about Buddhism, it seems to be based on peace and harmony and love, perhaps much like Christianity.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | 🡆 Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic